Saturday, April 23, 2011

Edible Birds' Nest...aka, Last Minute Easter Dessert!


What a crazy week we have had! Last Saturday we had to take the little man to urgent care because he had a high fever that just wouldn't go down with medication. Turns out the poor dude had tonsilitis *sad face*. THEN it was back to urgent care Sunday morning because I somehow managed to strain a muscle in my shoulder going to bed the night before *double sad face*. I got some awesome pain meds and a snazzy new sling out of it. Thankfully we are both back to our old selves again!

Today's tutorial is actually a recipe, and an easy one at that. There is absolutely no measuring! Hurray! I've seen these little edible nests all over the interweb this year and figured they would be a cute and fun Easter dessert for the kiddos. They took about 30 min from start to finish. (Just enough time for me to watch a DVRed (DVR'd?) episode of Extreme Couponing.) Just a warning before you get started though! Your hands will be extremely messy! If you let the kids help out expect a nice big ol' mess. I did mine while the boy napped. My nerves can't handle another mess today ;)

Supplies Needed:

Chow Mein noodles. These can be found in the Asian section of your grocery store.
Chocolate that melts well. I used Wilton's candy melts.
Wax Paper
Cookie sheet (or a pizza pan if you're me)
Candy to use as your eggs (jelly beans, mini chocolate eggs, whatever!)

The first thing you will do is melt your chocolate. I just threw mine in the microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring each time. It's very important to not overheat your chocolate! Overheating it WILL ruin it.


Combine your chocolate and chow mein making sure to evenly coat the noodles.


Now comes the fun part! Take a handful of your noodle/chocolate mixture and put it onto your wax paper. Form it into a nest, and make sure you leave a decent sized opening in the center.


See! I told you it was messy!

Once you've assembled all of your nests, pop them in the freezer for about 5 minutes so the chocolate can set. When that's all said and done you are ready to place your eggs. I used the Cadbury mini eggs. You can use whatever you want though.

And here's the finished product:

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment