Sunday, April 10, 2011

Fabric Rosettes

I've become quite obsessed with these little flowers in the last month or so. They're super easy to make, take about 5-10 minutes, and look adorable when they're done! They're also pretty versatile. You can put them on practically anything! I've embellished cardigans, t-shirts that, a chalkboard, and several hair clips and headbands. Like I said, I'm obsessed!

My sister and her sweet baby girl came to visit a few weeks ago. One afternoon while both kids were napping (I know, it's a miracle!) I dragged her out to my craft room to teach her how to make these flowers. My sister is probably the least crafty person I know, sorry Ashley it's true :), and she knocked about 5 of these out in about 10 minutes or so. Now she's addicted to them.

Your supplies will vary depending on your plans for these sweet little flowers, but you will always need the following four items:

Fabric (or ribbon or even yarn!)
Felt-try to use coordinating colors
Hot glue gun
Scissors

For now I'll just show you the basics. I'll go further into detail with the different things you can do with them later.


First you will need to cut a strip of fabric. The length of the fabric is all up to you, but keep in mind that you will be twisting and folding it so a small piece isn't a good idea. I usually measure mine to be about 1 1/2 - 2 inches wide. It was quite late when we decided to take photos of the tutorial, so we just rummaged around my craft room until we found some fabric and felt. Please excuse the not so cute (and not so matching) color choices :)




 Once you have your strip of fabric cut the length and width you want, grab it at both ends and start twisting it. You will want to twist it fairly tight.

That's my sister Ashley. She was a good sport and helped me with my tutorial :)



After you've twisted till you can't twist anymore, fold your fabric in half and let it roll onto itself.




Next, grab the open end (where the two ends meet), dab on a little hot glue, then roll it into itself. Hold it in place for a few seconds so the glue can set some. The following picture will give you a visual of what I mean.



Continue rolling your flower around itself, making sure to glue it in spots so it doesn't fall apart on you. You don't want to have to start over!





When you reach the end of your twisted rope of fabric take a look at both sides of your flower. Choose the prettiest side then glue the end to the opposite side like so:








Put your flower to the side and grab your felt. Cut a circle (it doesn't have to be perfect or exact) a little bit smaller than your flower. This will serve as the back to the flower and also help ensure that it doesn't fall apart on you! Hot glue the back of your felt and stick it on the back of your flower like so:



 And that's it! You've successfully made a fabric rosette flower!  Turn it over and admire your handiwork.


Welcome to the addiction! If you have any problems or questions don't hesitate to ask! Now go forth and make rosettes until your little heart is content!

1 comment:

  1. SNAP!! I've totally been doing those the long/hard way! Why didn't I think to do it this way? DUH! Thanks for sharing!

    I'm so glad u started your blog girlie! :))

    ReplyDelete